0191 643 2626


The Children’s Society’s Migrant Advice Project – EU Settlement Scheme support

The EU Settlement Scheme is a free scheme which enables EEA and Swiss citizens resident in the UK, and their family members, to obtain the status they will require in order to live and work in the UK after 30 June 2021 (or after 31 December 2020 if there is a no deal exit).

The Children’s Society’s Migrant Advice Project offers support to vulnerable EU Citizens going through the EU Settlement Scheme in the North East. Support is also available to family members of EU citizens to gain settled or pre-settled immigration status in the UK.

The drop-in and appointment service is free of charge, with interpreters available to assist those who may face language barriers.

The Migrant Advice Project has access to all the necessary equipment needed to make EUSS applications, ensuring that all clients are able to make their application in a confidential environment. Advice on the EU scheme can only be given by practitioners with relevant legal qualifications and our staff are appropriately qualified.

Please see below for details of drop-in sessions:

Newcastle: Mondays at 1pm to 4pm (except bank holidays) at Brunswick Methodist Church, Brunswick Place, NE1 7BJ

Gateshead: Thursdays, 1 to 4pm at The Hub (Family Church), Swan St, Gateshead NE8 1BQ

Sunderland: Tuesdays (starting 3 September), 1 to 4pm at Sunderland Bangladesh International Centre, 30 Tatham St, Sunderland SR1 2QD

The Children’s Society will also consider doing outreach sessions and appointments in North Tyneside if there is demand for the service.

What do people need to bring to start the process?

  • Email address and phone number.
  • Photographic national ID (national passport / national ID card / Biometric residence card);
  • Children’s Birth Certificates (if relevant);
  • Proof of residency in the UK (National insurance number). If you don’t have one, you need letters to prove your addresses for the whole time you’ve been in the UK {this could be council tax letters / bank statements / tenancy agreements etc.)
  • Further information may also be required to prove residency or relationships.

Who should attend?

EU / EEA / SWISS nationals who do not have indefinite leave to remain in the UK AND any non EEA close family members of EU/EEA nationals living in the UK.

If they are unable to help, you will be signposted to other services.

You can contact the Children’s Society on euss@childrenssociety.org.uk or by calling 0191 349 9481.

Read more here.