Using evidence from the National Youth Social Action Survey (NYSAS) and NCVO’s Time Well Spent research, #iwill ambassador Stephen Tutin explains how organisations can recruit and retain younger volunteers.
Stephen’s top 10 tips for getting more young volunteers are:
- Start as young as possible
- Get their families involved
- Explain your social purpose clearly
- Don’t underestimate young people.
- Have young representatives (eg in steering groups, or as trustees)
- Build their confidence
- Focus on career skills
- Engage with schools and universities
- Get their friends involved
- Keep things fun and flexible