Community Health Champions
Our Community Health
Champions will play a vital role in the sharing of public health information to
members of their local community during the current Covid 19 situation and
other health issues.
This will involve a
grassroots approach to sharing and clarifying information and concerns,
enabling members of their local community to be better able to adapt any
changes needed to deal with the current pandemic, keeping them informed and as
safe as possible.
· Cascading information, by reaching out to your local community to pass on important messages. This could be to church groups, neighbourhood watch, community or voluntary organisations, colleagues or customers at your workplace if applicable or friends and family.
· Ensuring messages are communicated clearly and in a way that is accessible to all (VODA will provide you with clear, engaging and trusted health updates in the form of infographics, animations, posters etc so you will not be required to create anything)
· Supporting your community to clarify any concerns by feeding these back to VODA to minimise confusion.
· Passing on feedback as to whether these messages are being received and understood.
· Referring people to existing support services within their community if in need of further help or assistance.
Where will you be based?
You could volunteer to be a Community Health Champion in your local area or you could pass on messages virtually whilst at work or from home.
Why volunteer with us
This is a new and
exciting role will provide an essential service in
helping local residents to be able to be better informed and adapt to change,
to minimise the risk of further COVID infection.
This role will not take up a huge time
commitment and you will identify the groups or people you would like to share
this information with so can fit in easily with daily life.
A chance to gain experience of volunteering in a rewarding community development role.
What we can offer:
· Induction programme and optional skill development training sessions.
· Regular Whatsapp messages, ebulletins and invites to Zoom meeting to find out the latest information with regards to public health messages.
· Supervision and support from a named member of staff.
· A reference.
· Out of pocket expenses.
· Access to PPE if needed.
About North Tyneside VODA
North Tyneside VODA supports volunteers and voluntary and community sector organisations across the borough of North Tyneside. We provide support, advice on training on a range of topics including starting and setting up a group, governance issues, charity law, funding, finance, involving volunteers and more.
What skills do I need?
Qualities you need
- A commitment to delivering messages and health information within your identified group.
- A genuine care for your local community and a desire to keep them safe.
Skills you will develop
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- The ability to communicate clearly and effectively.
- Ability to remain calm and reassure those who may be confused about public health messages.
- Age restrictions
- Child Protection Policy (where relevant)
- DBS check required
- Equal Opportunities Policy
- Expenses reimbursed
- Health and Safety Policy
- Ongoing support
- Training provided
- Volunteer induction
- Volunteer Policy
- Volunteers covered by insurance
- Vulnerable Adults Policy (where relevant)
- Written role description
When can I volunteer?
Start Date: 22/09/2020
End Date: 22/09/2021
Time commitment This role will be flexible as and when new messages are issued, you can forward the messages on at what ever time suits you and your community best (not restricted to office hours). Your involvement can be as little as simply forwarding on health updates from VODA to your community, although there are opportunities to be more involved if you would like to develop more community outreach skills. In a nut shell, we know everyone has busy lives so we aim to make sharing updates as easy as possible, so that together we can make a bigger impact.
This opportunity has no specific location.
Pearey House Centre For Visually Impaired
North Tyneside VODA
North Tyneside Carers' Centre