COVID-19 Good Neighbours Response - Tier 3 Shopping Volunteers
The Good Neighbours project recruits, trains and supports volunteers to carry out a variety of practical tasks commonly associated with those carried out by a ‘good neighbour’. In light of the COVID-19 outbreak we are scaling up our Good Neighbours project to help meet increased need in the community.
About This Role
is essential that people who are self-isolating have access to
essential items. VODA is working with North Tyneside Council and local
community groups to identify vulnerable residents who desperately need
We are looking for volunteers that can help with collecting and delivering shopping for someone who is self-isolating. This role will involve volunteers handling money and having direct contact with the beneficiary.
When dropping off the shopping volunteers will not be expected to enter the beneficiary’s home to help with unpacking. Instead they should hand the shopping over on the beneficiary’s doorstep. If any additional support is required due to mobility issues then we will notify volunteers in advance and provide clear instructions. Volunteers should contact VODA once the task has been completed.
Volunteers will be able to access the following support from VODA:
· Telephone and email support at all times during your volunteering
· Reimbursement of any travel expenses and hand sanitiser costs incurred whilst volunteering
· Access to guidance on Safeguarding and Lone Working
· All volunteers will be covered by VODA’s policies and procedures.
· A certificate of thanks when the dust settles!
This role requires a Disclosure and Baring Service (DBS) check as it involve direct contact with vulnerable adults as well as handling other people’s money. If you do not already have a valid DBS we will discuss arranging this for you.
To help us route your application appropriately, it would be helpful if you could answer the following questions in your application:
Do you have a current DBS check?
Do you have access to a car? (please note, a car is not essential)
Good Neighbours COVID-19 Volunteering Guidance
We want all volunteers to feel safe and enjoy making a positive contribution. We ask all volunteers to follow these simple steps to ensure their safety and the safety of others.
Look After Yourself
· If you, or any members of your household, have any coronavirus symptoms you should not do any volunteering. Instead you should call or email us as soon as possible so we can cancel your volunteering and offer you any support you might need.
· Please wash your hands thoroughly (for at least 20 seconds) before and after carrying out your volunteering activity to help minimise any risk of infection.
· Only carry out tasks that have been agreed by VODA. It is important you do not offer any additional support without discussing this with us first. If you are in any doubt please give us a call.
· Make sure someone knows your whereabouts at all times - ideally a friend or family member. Ask them to contact VODA if they have any concerns about your safety.
· Don’t take on too much. Every little helps. If you find that you are no longer able to continue your volunteering that’s fine. Just let us know. You don’t need to be a hero!
· If you need any help - just ask!
Look After Others
· If you have any concerns about someone’s welfare don’t try to handle the situation yourself. Pass on any concerns to VODA as soon as you can so we can take the appropriate action.
· If a situation feels risky, it probably is. Call off your volunteering and contact VODA straight away.
· Keep people’s personal information and circumstances confidential so as not to compromise their safety. Do not share people’s details with friends and family or on social media.
· Do not offer advice unless you are trained to do so. Sometimes well-meaning advice can lead to negative consequences.
· If someone offers you a gift please politely decline it informing them that VODA has instructed you to do so.
About North Tyneside VODA
VODA runs the Volunteer Centre for North Tyneside.
What skills do I need?
Ability to follow health and safety instructions
- Age restrictions
- Child Protection Policy (where relevant)
- DBS check required
- Equal Opportunities Policy
- Expenses reimbursed
- Health and Safety Policy
- Ongoing support
- Training provided
- Volunteer induction
- Volunteer Policy
- Volunteers covered by insurance
- Vulnerable Adults Policy (where relevant)
- Written role description
When can I volunteer?
Start Date: 19/03/2020
End Date: 19/03/2021
Depaul UK North Tyneside
Tenants Activity Group (TAG)
Collingwood Health Group