Health and Social Care Research Volunteer
To help improve local health and social care services by:
· Participating in project teams to plan and deliver excellent research, so we hear voices of local people, deepen understanding of the issues and make recommendations for change.
· Promoting and raising awareness of Healthwatch North Tyneside activities and our role.
· Going into services to observe, and to listen to people’s views and experiences.
· Talking with people on the telephone about their experience of local health and care services
· Contributing to research planning and analysis
· Taking notes and drafting reports
· Providing information on local services and where appropriate signposting to these organisations
· Attending briefings and volunteer meetings
· Working with the team to identify what’s working and what needs improving.
· Opportunity to improve local health and care services
What's in it for you
· You will receive a full induction to give you the necessary information to perform your volunteer role. You will also receive training in safeguarding, health and safety, dementia, and equality and diversity
· We will provide you a reference after 30 hours of volunteering with us, together with certificates for any training you do with us.
· Having new experiences and meeting new people.
· Having the satisfaction of knowing that you are giving back to your community
· Opportunities to practice or learn new skills.
· Developing your confidence
· Feeling valued and being part of a team
· Enhancing your curriculum vitae (CV)
About Healthwatch North Tyneside
Healthwatch North Tyneside Is the local independent voice for people using local health and social care services in North Tyneside.
Healthwatch talks to users of local NHS and social care services to hear about their views and experiences. It identifies what’s working well and what could be done better so that services can improve. Healthwatch North Tyneside is here to:
Listen to your views and gather feedback about health and social care services
Provide information and signposting so that you get the support you need
Improve the quality of services by making sure service providers and decision makers listen to your views and make services better
Encourage people running services to involve local people in changes to care.
What skills do I need?
· Confident at talking with, and listening to, people
· Able to write clear notes
· Professional and have a commitment to confidentiality and safeguarding
· Able to work as part of a team
· Willing to participate in one to one and group support sessions
· Basic IT skills – e-mail and Microsoft word
· Experience of gathering information from people through interviews or similar conversation with individuals or groups is an advantage
· An interest in health and social care services is essential
· Willingness to learn though induction, ongoing training and peer support.
· Commitment and enthusiasm
· Interest in helping people to have their voices heard
· Be non-judgmental, respectful, polite and sensitive when speaking and listening to people
· Be committed to equal opportunities
· You will need to agree to follow the Healthwatch North Tyneside Policies and Procedures
· The volunteer role is dependent on a satisfactory DBS check. This does not mean that having a criminal record will automatically prevent you from volunteering with us
- Age restrictions
- Child Protection Policy (where relevant)
- DBS check required
- Equal Opportunities Policy
- Expenses reimbursed
- Health and Safety Policy
- Ongoing support
- Training provided
- Volunteer induction
- Volunteer Policy
- Volunteers covered by insurance
- Vulnerable Adults Policy (where relevant)
- Written role description
When can I volunteer?
Start Date: 14/06/2021
End Date: 14/06/2022
• Flexible. Volunteering with Healthwatch will fit around your other commitments. • Flexible depending on project activity. We normally expect research volunteers to contribute about 6 hours a month, but some periods are busier depending on the activities you get involved in
This opportunity has no specific location.
North Tyneside Carers' Centre
North Tyneside VODA