The Soundroom is seeking trustees with skills and experience in one or more of the following areas: youth work, human resources, finance and financial management, safeguarding, marketing, building maintenance. A passion for community work, an interest in music and a knowledge of the Gateshead area, particularly Teams and Bensham are also desirable.
Based in a converted 1930s local library building between the areas of Bensham and Teams in Gateshead, The Soundroom is a community music studio which offers music and arts activities for a range of participants. The programme includes drum therapy and music café sessions for adults with learning disabilities, after school performing arts sessions for children, weekly youth night sessions, tea dances for older people, holiday activities for children and volunteering opportunities. The Soundroom also provides affordable venue hire, rehearsal space and recording facilities for other community groups and the general public.
Trustees meet once a month, usually on a Monday night, for 2 hours. Trustees are expected to attend these meetings as well as The Soundroom’s AGM, which usually takes place instead of one of the Monday night meetings.
The duties of the trustees are to:
- Ensure that The Soundroom complies with its governing document, charity law, company law and any other relevant legislation or regulations
- Ensure that The Soundroom pursues its objects as defined in its governing document
- Ensure The Soundroom applies its resources exclusively in pursuance of its objects
- Contribute actively to the board of trustees’ role in giving firm strategic direction to The Soundroom, setting overall policy, defining goals and setting targets and evaluating performance against agreed targets
- Safeguard the good name and values of The Soundroom
- Ensure the financial stability of The Soundroom
- Protect and manage the property of The Soundroom and ensure the proper investment of The Soundroom’s funds
Trustees are expected to have:
- A willingness to devote the necessary time and effort
- Strategic vision
- Good, independent judgement
- An ability to think creatively
- A willingness to speak their mind
- An understanding and acceptance of the legal duties, responsibilities and liabilities of trusteeship
- An ability to work effectively as a member of a team and to take decisions for the good of The Soundroom
To apply for the role of trustee please send your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org along with a short cover letter explaining what skills and experience you could bring and why you’d like to be a trustee. Find out more here.