Here is a roundup of the current volunteering opportunities available in North Tyneside, which includes a mix of both COVID-19 and non COVID-19 roles, as well as both home based and out in the community (following social distancing rules). Click on the links to find out more about each role.
VODA volunteering opportunities
As part of North Tyneside’s COVID-19 recovery, VODA has created a new Good Neighbours volunteer buddy scheme to help the support to beneficiaries take their first steps back out into the world. Each role has been created to support people with specific elements of their emergence from isolation.
Due to a number of our Good Neighbours returning to work, we have been able to reopen the recruitment process for both Tier 1 and Tier 3 Good Neighbours roles.
- The Family Gateway urgently needs volunteer drivers to deliver meals from their Cafe to the vulnerable families that they support on a daily basis. The drivers will get their petrol paid for and £3 towards their lunch from the cafe too.
- Collingwood Health Group is seeking a Patient Flow Volunteer (COVID role). The volunteer will provide an essential service in helping them to manage patient flow and minimise the risk of infection.
- Dreamshine (home based) telephone befriending volunteers, sign up here.
- Fareshare (Newcastle-based) – Each week FareShare North East deliver 80kg of surplus food to each of the 200 organisations who are providing vital assistance to vulnerable people. They have a range of volunteer roles available, including; warehouse assistant, driver, admin assistant, social media ambassador, community champion, customer service, volunteer engagement and community fundraiser. To find out more, go to https://fareshare.org.uk/volunteer/ and complete the form to help decide which roles are suitable for you.
- West End Refugee Service (home based) – is recruiting volunteer remote befrienders to support a family or an individual in Newcastle/Gateshead through Covid-19 with phone calls and video chats, to give social support, information about staying safe and connecting with services. You will play an important role in helping a family or individual with a refugee background feel more welcomed, supported and safe during this time. Go to their volunteering page to find out more.
- Making for the NHS (home based) – a collaboration between North Tyneside based businesses and our local community, making cotton bags and crafts for those in need both in the NHS and families affected by the Coronavirus. If you would like to get involved, go to their Facebook page or email email@example.com
- Food Share (Newcastle-based) -FoodCycle is looking for food prep and food parcel delivery drivers in the west end of Newcastle. Find out more here.
- HenPower Henpals scheme from Equal Arts (home based) is asking for letters and cards that they can distribute to people in care homes (their Hensioners) https://www.facebook.com/henpowerproject/. You can take a picture of the letter or card and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org
Non-Covid 19 roles
- St Oswald’s Hospice has a brand new volunteering opportunity for someone with skills and experience in video editing (home based). Read more here. They are also seeking a Lymphoedema Volunteer for their specialist Lymphoedema Service which is the largest in the North East. If you’re looking to gain hands-on experience for your studies, future career or share your skills in patient care, they’d love to hear from you.
- North East Homeless is seeking a range of new volunteers to support them:
- Friends Action North East has a number of new roles that can be carried out remotely.
- Helix Arts new project – Falling On Your Feet – is an online dance and health programme for aged 65+ who are living independently. Regular workshops lead to high quality co-choreographed sessions which often lead to collaborative dance pieces. They need the following volunteer support:
- Tyneside Outdoors (TO) is a Youth and Community Charity that aims to help people living in deprived areas of Tyneside access and enjoy the outdoors. They have a number of volunteering opportunities available:
- Beach Access North East is looking for volunteers to support the loan of access equipment by appointment. Read more here.
- Team Kenya is a small UK charity working in partnership with a Kenyan NGO, to empower communities to achieve sustainable development, gender equality and the alleviation of poverty. They currently have the following volunteering vacancies:
- Action Tutoring is open for new volunteer applications and they can provide online training for new volunteers. Organisation information: & Application form.
- Meadow Well Connected is looking for new volunteers to work in the Meadows garden. If you want to get involved contact Megan –email@example.com. Read here.
- St Luke’s Lunch Club in Wallsend is looking to recruit new volunteers in advance of them reopening. They need volunteers to help prepare and cook food at their Wednesday lunch club as well as greet and chat to the guests.
- Forest Hall Young People’s Club:
- Volunteer coaches urgently needed to two football teams currently without a coach and in danger of folding. Each team trains at least once per weekday evening and plays their matches either Saturday or Sunday. Approx hours are 3/4hours per week.
- Volunteer (s) caretaker / groundsperson to help cut, maintain and mark the grass pitches at their Pavilion. Expected hours are 4/5 hours per week during warmer weather, less throughout winter.
- Common Room of the North archives volunteer – they can induct new volunteers remotely.