Here is a roundup of the current volunteering opportunities available in North Tyneside, which includes a mix of both COVID-19 and non COVID-19 roles, as well as both home based and out in the community (following social distancing rules). Click on the links to find out more about each role.
If you have a volunteering opportunity that you would like us to promote, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
VODA volunteering opportunities
Good Neighbours: Due to a number of our Good Neighbours returning to work, we have been able to reopen the recruitment process for both Tier 1 and Tier 3 Good Neighbours roles.
Internet Researcher (home-based): VODA is seeking a volunteer with good internet skills to help to update our directory of organisations. The volunteer will work through the directory and research each organisation looking for additional material such as Facebook, Twitter and Instagram details. The position is home-based and will last for about four months. You will need a copy of Word on your computer or device to complete this task. Read more and apply here.
COVID Creative Face Coverings (home-based): VODA’s new SAINT project (Social Action in North Tyneside) provides people with the opportunity to help make face coverings to support the local community, Good Neighbours beneficiaries and GP surgeries. To find out more about each opportunity please click the link.
- Age UK North Tyneside has a number of opportunities available:
- Dreamshine (home based) telephone befriending volunteers, sign up here – https://voda.org.uk/opportunity/telephone-support-covid-19-711/
- Fareshare (Newcastle-based) – Each week FareShare North East deliver 80kg of surplus food to each of the 200 organisations who are providing vital assistance to vulnerable people. They have a range of volunteer roles available, including; warehouse assistant, driver, admin assistant, social media ambassador, community champion, customer service, volunteer engagement and community fundraiser. To find out more, go to https://fareshare.org.uk/volunteer/ and complete the form to help decide which roles are suitable for you.
- West End Refugee Service (home based) – is recruiting volunteer remote befrienders to support a family or an individual in Newcastle/Gateshead through Covid-19 with phone calls and video chats, to give social support, information about staying safe and connecting with services. You will play an important role in helping a family or individual with a refugee background feel more welcomed, supported and safe during this time. Go to their volunteering page to find out more www.wers.org.uk/how-to-help/volunteering/
- The Palette (North East) is seeking volunteers to help deliver Kids Art Boxes across the North East! All you need is a valid UK drivers licence and insurance on your vehicle and spare time on a Tuesday (at a time to suit you). They will provide a pre-planned route for deliveries to your chosen area and 45p per estimated mile you drive. If you are interested, please fill in a no-obligation registration at www.thepalettenewcastle.com/at-home-arts-programme.
- Making for the NHS (home based) – a collaboration between North Tyneside based businesses and our local community, making cotton bags and crafts for those in need both in the NHS and families affected by the Coronavirus. If you would like to get involved, go to their Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/makingforthenhs/ or email email@example.com
- Food Share (Newcastle-based) -FoodCycle is looking for food prep and food parcel delivery drivers in the west end of Newcastle. Find out more here.
- HenPower Henpals scheme from Equal Arts (home based) is asking for letters and cards that they can distribute to people in care homes (their Hensioners) https://www.facebook.com/henpowerproject/. You can take a picture of the letter or card and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Digital Story Chain from Equal Arts (home based) – Help create a piece of lockdown literature alongside acclaimed author Kate Mosse. Equal Arts story chain is shared and shaped by everyone’s different ideas to help keep us connected and creative. Take part at www.equalarts.org.uk/story-chain
Non-Covid 19 roles
- Beach Access North East is looking for volunteers to support the loan of access equipment by appointment. https://voda.org.uk/opportunity/volunteer-to-support-the-loan-of-access-equipment-by-appointment-584/
- Team Kenya is a small UK charity working in partnership with a Kenyan NGO, to empower communities to achieve sustainable development, gender equality and the alleviation of poverty. They currently have the following volunteering vacancies:
- Volunteer Finance Consultant https://voda.org.uk/opportunity/volunteer-finance-consultant-713/
- Volunteer Schools Coordinator https://voda.org.uk/opportunity/volunteer-schools-coordinator-714/
- Action Tutoring is open for new volunteer applications and they can provide online training for new volunteers. Organisation information: https://actiontutoring.org.uk/get-involved/volunteer-as-a-tutor/ . Application form: https://www.tfaforms.com/332860
- Meadow Well Connected is looking for new volunteers to work in the Meadows garden. If you want to get involved contact Megan –email@example.com. https://www.meadowwellconnected.org.uk/blog/our-amazing-meadows-garden-volunteers?
- St Luke’s Lunch Club in Wallsend is looking to recruit new volunteers in advance of them reopening (still TBC). They need volunteers to help prepare and cook food at their Wednesday lunch club as well as greet and chat to the guests. https://voda.org.uk/opportunity/cooking-volunteer-675/
- Forest Hall Young People’s Club:
- Volunteer coaches urgently needed to two football teams currently without a coach and in danger of folding. Each team trains at least once per weekday evening and plays their matches either Saturday or Sunday. Approx hours are 3/4hours per week. https://voda.org.uk/opportunity/football-coaching-698/
- Volunteer (s) caretaker / groundsperson to help cut, maintain and mark the grass pitches at their Pavilion. Expected hours are 4/5 hours per week during warmer weather, less throughout winter. https://voda.org.uk/opportunity/caretaker-groundsperson-695/
- Common Room of the North archives volunteer – https://thecommonroom.org.uk/can-you-help-us/. they can induct new volunteers remotely.