Updated 13 January 2022
A number of North Tyneside organisations are currently recruiting for volunteers and trustees. Volunteering is a fantastic opportunity to make a difference to a local cause and it is a great addition to your CV.
You can search for all available volunteering opportunities on our online database, or take a look at our round-up below.
Vaccination Volunteering Opportunities
VODA currently has sufficient volunteer for the Oxford Centre and Royal Quays clinics at the moment, if you would like to register as a reserve please click this link and we will contact you when places become available.
Opportunities available with VODA
Gardening Volunteers – can you spare a few hours to help out with odd gardening jobs such as one-off tidy-ups, hedge cutting, path clearing, simple repairs to gates and fences? Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Good Neighbours DIY Volunteer to help local residents with tasks in and around the house (in line with the current government guidelines). These tasks range from changing a light bulb to putting up a bird box, all in all simple jobs and repairs.
We’re recruiting for Community Buddies for the Good Neighbours buddy scheme, to help support local residents who need support to get back out into the community.
We also need Shopping and Prescription Collection volunteers to help support residents who may be isolating.
Happy to Chat
Happy to Chat sessions are relaxed and friendly community sessions where people can come together for a cuppa and a chat. We are keen to take on a number of volunteers to support these sessions to help people coming back out into the community after nearly 18 months at home. Being a Happy to Chat volunteer involves going to the sessions, initiating a chat with the local residents to get the conversation going. We might ask you to help out with setting up the tables, coffee and tea as well. Happy to Chat Wallsend is held at Dreamshine’s Well-Bee-Ing Hub, Fridays 1pm to 3pm and Happy to Chat North Shields is at Meadow Well Connected, Thursdays 11am to 1pm.
Opportunities with other North Tyneside VCS groups and organisations
- Age UK North Tyneside is recruiting for a number of volunteer roles:
- Befriending Volunteers
- Telephone Befrienders
- Digital Champions
- Dementia Connections activity supporters
- Marie Curie is recruiting Lead Volunteers and Helper/Befriending Volunteers to support their Helper service which is provided by trained volunteers who offer one-to-one companionship and support to people with a terminal illness or life limiting illness and their families.
- Whitely Bay Barbarians Rugby League Club is looking for Coaches to join their boys and girls sections. Email email@example.com. Coaching experience preferred, but not essential. You must be willing to work towards a RFL Level 2 Coaching qualification. Coaching qualification and DBS fees will be covered by the club.
- Creative Minds/Sensactivity CIC requires Session Support Volunteers for sessions, Monday to Friday in school holidays, and flexi in term time. The sessions are sensory orientated and currently for 5-8yr olds, with sensory difficulties.
- Barnardo’s North Tyneside
- Young Person’s Group Helpers support young people during their transition from being a young person to an adult. Groups tend to focus on a specific group or need, such as Mental Wellbeing, LGBT+ Identifying Young people, employability or developing coping strategies. Barnardo’s run four evening groups from Tuesday to Friday. Ideally a volunteer would arrive at 3.30 to help prepare the environment/food and leave once the session is over and a debrief has happened.
- Tesco Fareshare food delivery champions to collect food from Tesco Norham Road or Whitley Lodge and bringing it to The BASE in Whitley Bay.
- Healthwatch North Tyneside is recruiting a Health and Social Care Research Volunteer to help improve local health and social care services.
- Digital Champions. Age UK North Tyneside are looking for volunteer Digital Champions to offer support to older adults to enable them to bridge the ‘digital divide’ and get online. Digital Champions will offer support and encourage people to broaden their digital skills base and increase confidence in using the internet, digital technology, Apps, online banking and shopping and staying connected with family and friends.Support and training is provided for this flexible and rewarding volunteering role. Volunteers should be aged 18 and able to support people in North Tyneside. Call 0191 280 8484 Option 1 to learn more.
- HostNation is launching in Tyneside and is keen to register Befrienders – people with goodwill towards refugees and 3-4 hours a week to meet up with their refugee friend and to help them feel more at home in Tyneside.
- M10 Missions: Youth Mentors. M10 Missions is recruiting men who have had experience of the workplace, who have time and willingness to support a boy from one of the least advantaged areas in the North-East of England, to overcome obstacles and seize opportunities. They ask mentors for a commitment of at least one child, for one hour a month, over the course of 10 months.
- MHA Communities North Tyneside is charity which offers social opportunities to older people who are often isolated and lonely.
- The Royal Air Forces Association is seeking volunteers for their Connections for Life Friendship Calls service to support those struggling with loneliness affects across the RAF community including veterans and family members. They are also looking for Volunteer Caseworkers to carry out welfare work for the Royal Air Forces Association.
- North Tyneside Council Community Protection & Public Space Team is looking for volunteers to join the North Tyneside Council Community Protection Support Group to support victims and witnesses of antisocial behaviour.
- National Childbirth Trust in North Tyneside is recruiting a number of roles:
- Parents And Communities Together (PACT) Mumspace is a unique group which offers mums the space to have a weekly workshop whilst children/babies are looked after by volunteers. They need Children’s Playworker Volunteers while to oversee children playing while mums are participating in the workshops for half an hour.
- Independent Age is recruiting for recruiting Community Volunteers who will support and work with an older person to help them achieve their desired goals.
- Whitely Bay Young People’s Centre requires 2 experienced Youth Work Support Volunteers to support the development of their youth committee. This takes place on a monthly basis at the youth centre and they will be working with the community development worker and the Chair.
- Beach Access North East is recruiting volunteers to support the loan of access equipment by appointment. Based at Whitley Bay or Blyth and a Marketing & PR volunteer.
- Beat is the UK’s eating disorder charity, they are recruiting Volunteer Echo Peer Coaches. Echo Peer Coaching is a free telephone support service that matches volunteers who have cared for someone with an eating disorder with other parent carers who are currently supporting someone through recovery.
- Independent Advocacy North East has volunteering opportunities for Citizen Advocates to work in partnership with people who have mental health problems, learning difficulties and or physical disabilities. Advocates listen and speak up for individuals, so that they feel valued and part of society, ensuring their voice is heard.
- Safe Families for Children has opened up recruitment again for the following volunteer roles:
- Host Home Volunteers can have a powerful impact in the lives of struggling families, especially when the family doesn’t have a network of family or friends who they can turn to. Host Homes offer short-term overnight accommodation to children for example this may be two nights a month for 4-6 months or for one-off situations, like a parent going into hospital. There is also the opportunity to host mums and babies, usually for 4-6 weeks following the birth of the baby.
- The Family Friend Volunteer role is very flexible and allows volunteers to offer support according to their skills, interests, availability and preferences. It may be offering parenting support to struggling parents, taking children out to engage in local activities or simply offering support and encouragement to families that are going through a difficult time.
- The Old Low Lights Heritage Centre has two volunteering vacancies:
- Welcome Desk Volunteer to welcome visitors to the Old Low Light and help them make the most of their visit to the Heritage Centre and talk to them about the Old Low Light’s fascinating past and plans for the future.
- Café Assistant Volunteer: an opportunity to learn Barista and other catering related skills, which can be transferable to other opportunities in the future. Chance to contribute to a local heritage and community space. Hours can be flexible to suit, including weekends.
- Smart Works Newcastle supports women into employment through interview coaching, clothing and confidence. They currently have two new volunteering opportunities.
- Action Tutoring is recruiting Volunteer English or Maths Tutors to support local families to try to close the attainment gap widened by the pandemic. The role requires 1 to 1.5 hrs a week for 8-10 weeks for small groups of 2 or 3 pupils, either face to face and/or online. Years 5, 6, 7, 10 or 11. Training and support given.
- Northumbria Coalition Against Crime: Volunteer Mentors – Can you spare a few hours per week to help a young person at risk of offending or reoffending? The Northumbria Coalition Against Crime is recruiting new mentors for its award winning mentoring project. Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Fighting All Cancers Together (FACT) NT needs a number of Charity Shop Assistants for their Whitley Bay store.
- Mind Matters is looking for Retail assistants to help with all aspects of retail, including steaming, using the till, merchandising, back of house, tidying and or ticketing stock.
- Families 1st 4 Additional needs has various roles available, including Administration, Social Media, Stock and Food Distribution.
- St Oswald’s is recruiting for a number of volunteer roles:
- LD:NorthEast is looking for a volunteer that has a love of art to run art sessions for them. Have you time to spare and a hobby to share? Get in touch: email@example.com!
- MHA Communities North Tyneside is recruiting a Volunteer Car Driver who will pick up and return older people back to their homes so they can attend activities on a Friday in North Shields.
- Altering Images of Mentality (AIM) Group: Membership Volunteer. The charity would like to welcome new volunteers to the group to assist in its campaigns (including World Mental Health Day) to reduce the stigma and discrimination often experienced by people with mental health problems.
- Victims First Northumbria would like to recruit Volunteer Advocates who can provide support via telephone and have face to face engagement with victims of crime – in their own home or in an agreed location.
- The Thomas Pocklington Trust is looking for appoint Sight Loss Council Members for Tyne & Wear. They are looking for people who can draw from personal experience as a person who is blind or partially sighted, contributing skills and knowledge to benefit the key aims of the Sight Loss Council.
- The 18th Wallsend Scouts are looking for new leaders and volunteers for their Scout Group. They hope to return to Wednesday sessions (15:15 – 17:00) at Redesdale Primary School, but cannot do this without help from more adult volunteers and leaders. They have three age group sections, from age 6-14 years. Leaders would have to be DBS Cleared, and be willing to undergo training. Please contact the Group Scout leader if you are interested: firstname.lastname@example.org or 07432098154
- Useful Vision is recruiting Activity Volunteers to support the delivery of their summer activities.
- Family Gateway needs drivers to support with food deliveries to the families they support. They would also like to add more volunteers to the whole team. They’d love to hear from enthusiastic people who would be happy to assist with general volunteering tasks such as supporting activities, gardening and maintenance, cleaning and sanitisation, packing and delivering free meals and care packages.
- Friend Action North East is looking for a Digital Volunteer to support all aspects of IT from data input, updating Friends Action North East’s website, posting on FANE’s social media platforms to campaigning for digital inclusion for people with learning disabilities and/or autism. This role can be tailored to people’s time, commitment, and expertise. Volunteers will work from home in this role.
- Tyneside Outdoors is seeking a Business support volunteer.
- British Heart Foundation South Tyneside
- XL Health offers health, safety & care related training, medical and welfare services for events and organisations, as well as a range of Covid19 testing and support services. They are recruiting for a number of volunteer roles.
- Pearey House Centre For Visually Impaired needs a volunteer assistant, Tuesdays 8.30am to 12.30pm, to help with activities and lunches for blind and visually impaired adults.
- The North Tyneside Parks Team is looking for Green Spaces Improvement volunteers for monthly volunteering sessions at Northumberland Park starting 2 June.
- Citizen’s Advice North Tyneside has a number of Telephone Adviceline Volunteer vacancies.
- Survivors of Bereavement by Suicide is recruiting a Peer Support Facilitator
- YMCA North Tyneside is recruiting Volunteer Mentors to support young girls aged 9 to 14. Read more and apply here.
- FACT Cancer Support needs telephone befriending volunteers for 2 or more hours per week. Working from home or one of their community locations. Contact Shirley.email@example.com or call 01914420833.
- Cruse Bereavement Care is recruiting a Fundraising and Marketing Volunteer
Trustee Vacancies in North Tyneside
- Forest Hall Young People’s Club – Treasurer
- National Childbirth Trust (North Tyneside) – Treasurer
- Whitley Bay Young People’s Centre
- Independent Advocacy North East
- Walking With in North Tyneside Treasurer
Keep up to date with volunteer news by following the North Tyneside Volunteer Centre on Facebook.